I-35 + Highway 33 Bridge Deck Maintenance Projects Scheduled June 23-25
A variety of bridge deck maintenance projects will occur June 23 through June 25 in the Northland. The Minnesota Department of Transportation is alerting drivers to work on the elevated roadway on I-35 near the Ore Dock and on Highway 33 at the St. Louis River Bridge in Cloquet.
The projects aren't large in scope and should be wrapped up within the timeline given - during the daytime hours. Here are the project details:
- I-35 - Northbound I-35 in Duluth near the DMIR Ore Dock - there will be alternating right and left lane closures.
- Highway 33 - northbound in Cloquet near the St. Louis River Bridge - there will be alternating right and left lane closures.
For more information about rest stops, projects, and more - click here to get information from their website.
For the time being - as the COVID-19 Pandemic response is in place, MNDOT is working hard to adhere to Governor Tim Walz's Stay at Home executive order. Road work has been identified as a Critical Service by the state and will continue on.
Here are some important reminders from MNDOT about safety in regards to this specific project as well as any of the projects you might encounter this summer:
- Slow down when approaching a work zone
- Use caution when navigating through the marked-off work area
- Stay alert - work zones constantly change
- Watch for workers and slow moving equipment
- Obey the posted speed limits. Fine for a violation in a work zone is $300
- Minimize distractions behind the wheel
- Be patient
- Expect delays - especially during peak travel times
For more information about this specific project or any of the scheduled road work across the state, click here to visit the Minnesota Department of Transportation's online project page.