I hear a lot of people complaining that the radio or tv station won't help find a lost or missing dog, and they used to.

Well, there are hundreds of missing dogs every day, which would be hard to keep up with, especially now there is the internet and you can post on social media to get things done. Can you imagine playing less music to talk about each and every pet that is loose?

So, your dog or pet goes missing, what is the next step? The first thing you can do is make a few signs in the area. Dogs will go to places that will feed them, and they want to come back home but only know the way they are brought. If they aren't on the walking path they normally follow they will follow their nose, to the food.

The second thing you should do is check-in with places that help control pets running wild. Your companion may be waiting for you at one of these locations.

City of Duluth Shelter: (218) 723-3259 or (218) 390-2256

Animal Allies Humane Society in Duluth: (218) 722-5341

Animal Allies Humane Society in Superior: (715) 394-7387

Friends of Animals in Cloquet: (218) 879-1655

Humane Society of Douglas County in South Range: (715) 398-6784

So what if you have found a stray. 

Check the internet.

Call the appropriate shelter (listed below) to find out the next steps.

Found within the city limits of Duluth: call Animal Control at (218) 723-3259 or (218) 390-2256

Found within Hermantown city limits: call Hermantown Police Department at (218) 729-1200

Found within Proctor city limits: call Proctor Police Department at (218) 624-7788

Found in Southern St. Louis County: call Animal Allies at (218) 722-5341

Found within city limits of Superior: call Animal Allies Humane Society in Superior at (715) 394-7387 or the Humane Officer at (715) 395-7280.

If the animal is friendly, the shelter may ask you to transport the animal to their location. If an animal is hurt, in danger or aggressive, call 911. When in doubt, do not handle a loose animal; call the police.

What else can you do?

Post a lost, found, or sighting of a dog with Lost Dogs of Minnesota or Lost Dogs of Wisconsin.

Post an ad on Craigslist.

Place an ad in the Duluth News Tribune or the Superior Telegram.

My animal is microchipped. How will this help reunite me with my pet?

All stray animals are scanned for a microchip when arriving at a shelter. The shelter will contact the person whose information is registered to that microchip.

Animal Allies offers to microchip animals. Call (218) 623-6350 to schedule an appointment in Duluth or find out from authorities where to go in Cloquet, Hermantown, or Superior by using the numbers I have provided above.

Information comes from Animal Allies

More From KOOL 101.7