Northshore Inline Marathon Traffic Advisory Posted For Saturday
The Northshore Inline Marathon happens Saturday, September 15 in Duluth on a course that runs from just south of Two Harbors to the finish line in front of the William A. Irvin by Canal Park. In advance of that event, organizers have released a traffic advisory that details the times and important road closures that will affect drivers from early Saturday morning until approximately sometime mid-afternoon.
The initial closures will start at 5:30 AM. Here's what you need to know:
- 5:30 AM: Duluth Police will Scenic 61 at south junction of TH 61 Expressway.
- 6:00 AM: Lake County/Two Harbors police will close Scenic 61 (CSAH 61) at north junction of TH 61 Expressway. MNDOT will shift northbound TH 61 traffic into left turn lane at CSAH 61 to allow buses to unload marathon participants.
- 6:15 AM: MNDOT and State Patrol will divert southbound TH 61 traffic onto Superior Street no later than 6:15 AM; close northbound I-35 at Mesaba Avenue.
- 6:45 AM: Half Marathon race starts.
- 7:00 AM: Wheels Off Half Marathon race starts.
- 8:00 AM: Tunnel 10K race starts.
- 8:30 AM: Rollerski Marathon race starts.
- 8:45 AM: Full Marathon race starts (wave start with last wave at 9:24 AM).
- Mid-afternoon (estimated last skaters/skiers at 2:00 PM – Reopening of I-35 and TH 61 to begin at the direction of Duluth Police.
Northshore Inline Marathon race organizers are also passing along the following details about closures:
- TH 61 at north junction of CSAH 61: MNDOT to install a CMS (changeable message sign) indication “RACE NEXT RIGHT/BUSES ONLY” for northbound TH 61 south of CSAH 61. Race volunteers to flag buses into closed lane.
- TH 61 at Superior Street: MNDOT and State Patrol to divert southbound TH 61 onto Superior Street no later than 6:15 AM. MNDOT to provide covers for STOP signs (MNDOT also provide covers for STOP signs at Superior Street and 60th Avenue East). State Patrol and Duluth Police Department to install covers.
- London Road at 26th Avenue E.: City of Duluth to flash signals for duration of race. City of Duluth to close intersection on west leg and south leg of 26th Avenue East at 6:15 AM.
- London Road at 21st Avenue E.: MNDOT to provide barricades to prohibit vehicles and pedestrians from entering I-35. Race to provide volunteers to keep spectators from I-35 and monitor barrier between lanes.
- Northbound I-35: City to close Lake Avenue, 5th Avenue West and 3rd Avenue East. (Michigan Street) ramps at 6:15 AM. Barricades will be provided by MNDOT at each location. MNDOT to close Michigan Street at Superior Street at 6:15 AM
- 5th Avenue Frontage Road: Race officials to provide cones at Lake Avenue Ramp, 1st Avenue West and 3rd Avenue West
- 5th Avenue Interchange: Duluth Police Department to close 5th Avenue West between Michigan Street at Railroad Street connection. Lake Avenue will remain open to traffic.
- Mesaba Detour: The official detour for Mesaba Ave bridge work will take drivers from Superior Street onto Garfield Avenue to Railroad Street and up to Lake Avenue back to the downtown area.
- General: MNDOT to provide barricades at 32nd Avenue and 36th Avenue East. The City will install “Detour” signs at appropriate locations for detoured I-35 and TH 61 traffic. All roadways will reopen upon the direction of the Duluth Police Department.
For more information about the detours and closures or the race itself, click here to visit the official website of the Northshore Inline Marathon.