How To Navigate The Christmas City Of The North Parade
The Parade will start around 6:25 pm and takes up about 13 blocks in Downtown Duluth. The parade starts around 10th Ave East, but cars and floats will be lined up all along London Road getting ready for the parade. They will be from 14th to 17th ave east.
At 4:00 p.m., London Road will close to vehicle traffic from 10th to 14th Avenues East for Parade line-up. Sections of 12th and 13th Avenues E. and the 1300 block of Jefferson Street will close for Parade line-up.
Superior Street from 12th Avenue East to 5th Avenue West will close to vehicle traffic at 5:45 p.m. Michigan Street will close at 6:15 p.m. to traffic, except for buses and local residents. Access to Michigan St. parking ramps will be allowed, but may be limited, after 6:15 p.m. Vehicles exiting Michigan Street lots and ramps during the closures will be directed to exit the area by driving south to the 5th Avenue West Off-Ramp.
NO PARKING AREAS:
Motorists should be aware of the following no parking areas in Downtown Duluth and along London Road. Parking violators will be tagged and towed.
- No Parking after 10:00 a.m at select meters in front of the Pickwick Restaurant.
- No Parking after 12:00 noon at meters on the upper side of Superior St. near Fitger's.
No Parking after 3:00 p.m. on:
- Both sides of London Road, from 10th Ave. E. to 14th Ave. E.,
- The upper side of London Road, from 14th Ave. E. to 17th Ave. E.,
- 12th and 13th Avenues E., from London Road to Superior Street,
- Jefferson Street, from 13th Ave. E. to 14th Ave. E., and
- The Rose Garden Parking Lot.
No Parking after 4:00 p.m. on Michigan Street from 5th Ave. W. to 4th Ave. W.
No Parking after 5:00 p.m. on Superior Street from 10th Ave. E to 5th Ave. W.
DTA buses will use 1st Street for westbound routes and 2nd Street for eastbound routes.
JEFFERSON BUS LINES:
Jefferson Line Buses will be allowed to access the Duluth Transportation Center on Michigan Street to load and unload passengers.
Eastbound Superior Street traffic will be detoured at 6th Avenue West to eastbound 2nd Street. Westbound Superior St. traffic will be detoured from London Road at 14th Ave. E. and from Superior Street at 12th Ave. E. to westbound 1st Street. Tenth Ave. E. will close to traffic from 1st Street to Superior Street.
I-35, DECC, and CANAL PARK ACCESS:
Lake Avenue will close between 1st Street and the I-35 ramps on the Lake Ave Viaduct. All I-35 ramps at Lake Ave. will remain open during the Parade, but will only be accessible from the Canal Park side.
Access to Canal Park, Park Point, and the DECC, will be via southbound 5th Ave. W. to Railroad Street. All I-35 ramps at 5th Ave. W. will remain open.
ST. LUKE'S HOSPITAL ACCESS:
If approaching from the east, take First Street directly to the St. Luke’s Hospital Emergency Department entrance on the upper side of 1st Street, between 10th and 9th Avenues East.
If approaching from the west, take Second Street east to 10th Ave. E., turn down (southbound) to 1st Street, turn right (westbound) onto First St. to the St. Luke’s Hospital Emergency Department entrance on the upper side of 1st Street.
St. Luke’s Hospital parking is available along the street and in the parking ramp on the lower side of 1st Street, between 10th and 12th Avenues East. St. Luke’s employees should be aware of no parking restrictions starting at 3:00 p.m. on and near London Rd.
SUGGESTED PARADE PARKING:
For the convenience of the thousands of people who converge on the Downtown for this annual event, free parade parking is being offered again after 5:00 PM at the following ramps/lots:
· Fourth Avenue Auto Park—402 W. Michigan Street
· Duluth Transportation Center—228 W. Michigan Street
· US Bank Ramp—230 W. Michigan Street
· Civic Center Ramp—410 W. First Street
· Tech Village Ramp—10 E. First Street
· Medical District Ramp—302 E. First Street
· Fitger’s---600 E. Superior Street
· Phoenix Parking Lot---98 N. 4th Ave West
· St. Luke's Hospital Ramp—1020 E. First Street
· St. Luke’s Employee Parking Lot—119 N. 12th Ave East
A special thanks to Duluth Parking, Oneida Realty, US Bank, Stender Properties, Duluth Transit Authority, St. Luke’s and Fitger’s for providing complimentary parking at the above facilities.
In addition to the ramps, parking meters will be free of charge after 5:30PM.
Downtown traffic should return to normal by approximately 8:30 pm.