Highway 2/53 Resurfacing Project Info Meeting Happens October 18
The planning for resurfacing work along US Highway 2 and 53 in Superior continues - with actual project start-dates set for 2020 and 2021. As the designs and plans come together, the Wisconsin Department of Transportation is holding public involvement meetings to solicit input and communicate information. The next meeting will happen this month.
On Thursday, October 18 a Public Involvement Meeting will happen at St. Anthony Catholic Church's Parish Hall - from 4:30 PM to 6:30 PM. Representatives from the Wisconsin Department of Transportation will be on hand to present information, solicit input, and answer questions.
The impending project will bring many improvements to the heavily-traveled corridor. Specifically, the following items are on the task list:
- Spot locations of concrete pavement repair
- Roadway resurfacing with a course grind of the concrete surface and then asphalt overlay
- Rehabilitation of three bridge structures
- Curb ramps will be upgraded or installed at pedestrian crossings
- Traffic signal updates or replacements
- Utility manhole and inlet repairs
Due to the high volume of traffic, WISDOT has designed the project to be spread out over the course of two years - in the 2020 and 2021 road construction seasons. That work will be split in the following ways:
- 2nd Ave. East to 31st Ave. East: Design and plan development: Spring 2017-spring 2019. Construction begins spring 2020
- 29th Ave. East to 53rd Ave. East: Design and plan development: Spring 2018-spring 2020. Construction begins spring 2021
To learn more about the project, click here to visit the online WISDOT project page.