West Duluth Memorial Day Parade Seeking More Participants
The West Duluth tradition will continue this year, however the Memorial Day Parade is seeking more participants.
Marching bands, antique cars, military groups, floats and more will soon be lining up in West Duluth. This parade has been in existence since 1871, talk about history! The parade will be held on May 30th and if you want to participate, you need to sign up before May 25th.
There are a few rules to know about before participating:
- No politics displayed on floats, the focus is on veterans who gave their lives in service.
- Whatever your business or organization, you are asked to show your patriotism by decorating your unit/vehicle in red, white, and blue.
There are currently about 20 groups and businesses signed up to participate but are looking for more to come and honor our fallen veterans. There is no cost to sign up as a parade participant, just make sure you follow the two rules.
There are also a few dos and don'ts for the parade:
- If you have a float in the parade, it is hey okay to hand out candy and/or informational materials about your organization.
- However, you are asked to respect the veterans by not distributing any politically-oriented materials.
- If you are a military organization, please supply your own federal flag.
Military organizations will be heading the parade. All other organizations will follow, ordered by first-come, first-served. It's also noted that similar organizations will not be grouped together.
If this sounds like something you would like to do, you can sign up here. As a reminder, no parking will be allowed on either side of Grand Avenue along the parade route during the day of the parade.