West-Bound Lane Closures Start On Bong Bridge May 5 As Part Of A Two Year Project; Get Updated Details About Single Lane Closures And DTA Detours
The two-year long Bong Bridge project ramps up on Monday, May 5. The west-bound lanes are closing and will remain closed until November.
Drivers can expect that side of the bridge to be totally closed off until the beginning of November 2014. This is also the timeline for the expected DTA bus route detour; Riders who wish to get to West Duluth via the DTA will have to expect the detour over the Blatnik Bridge.
In 2015, the work will move to the other side of the bridge, affecting east-bound/Superior-bound traffic - with a total closure on that side expected to begin sometime in the spring.
When it's done in the fall of 2015, the $18.2 million dollar project will accomplish the following:
Bong Bridge work
- Overlay existing bridge deck and make necessary repairs to the sidewalk
- Replace and repair arch components and repaint
- Replace existing expansion joints and repaint girder ends
- Replace street lights and ship navigation lights
- Construct a modern roundabout at Belknap St./ US 2 intersection
- Add local access connection to US 2 for North Garfield Ave. (City Industrial Park)
- Bridge deck overlay of the Susquehanna overhead bridge
- Replace roadway lighting
- Replace existing concrete pavement