MNDOT Plans I-35 Bridge Replacements South Of Duluth In Hinckley
A series of four separate but geographically-connected I-35 bridge projects will impact traffic south of Duluth near Hinckley for a three year stretch, starting next summer. The Minnesota Department of Transportation is working to get the details out ahead of time to minimize unplanned disruptions.
The work will occur on I-35, from a mile south of Minnesota Highway 48 to 2.2 miles north of Highway 48 where the interstate passes through Hinckley.
Here are the specific plans for the four bridge replacements - along with the repair work planned for a fifth bridge, and a concrete overlay project:
- Grindstone River Bridge: MNDOT will replace both the northbound and southbound sides of this bridge that's located 0.3 miles north of the junction of Minnesota Highway 48.
- BNSF Railroad Bridge: Work crews will replace both the northbound and southbound sides of this bridge that's located 1.2 miles north of the junction of Minnesota Highway 48.
- Minnesota Highway 48 Bridge - over I-35: MNDOT work crews will perform repairs to this bridge.
- Concrete overlay: An unbonded concrete overlay will be applied on I-35 from 1.0 mile south of Minnesota Highway 48 to 2.2 miles north of Minnesota Highway 42.
Total cost for the work will run about $25.6 million. MNDOT will start the project with the 2023 summer road construction season and expects to have it done by the fall of 2025.
The road work will accomplish a few things for drivers. According to details of the road construction project shared by MNDOT, their goals include:
- Replace aging infrastructure
- Improved, safer bridges that meet current design and construction standards
- Improve ride
- Extend the useful life of the highway.
In advance of the work, MNDOT will hold a series of public meetings regarding the Hinckley I-35 road work. Three of those meetings will happen in November 2022:
- November 14: 5:00 PM - public meeting at the Hinckley-Finlayson High School: 201 Main Street E, Hinckley.
- November 16: 5:30 PM - virtual meeting. Click here to join the meeting or call 855-282-6330. Use Meeting Code 2499 224 4575 to join.
- November 17: 5:00 PM - business meeting in the Hinckley Community Center: 102 Dunn Avenue North. This presentation will be geared toward the impacted business community.
MNDOT suggests that drivers should expect medium level traffic impacts. Traffic flow will be in a single-lane, head-to-head configuration within the project area, with the potential for detours - if needed.