Gas Saving Tips, That Don’t Work
OK, so how many times have you heard from your Dad to turn off the A/C to save gas? Don't put your cruise on, or put your cruise on and it will save gas? Does it work? Well, you'd be surprised what does work, and what doesn't, or maybe you won't.
According to Yahoo! Finance, there are some things that have almost been a wives tale or urban myth to save gas, but actually don't really save you gas. They are:
1. Turning Off the AC-Yep, it gets pretty expensive at home, but not on your gas. So turn it on and feel comfortable.
2. Filling Up When It's Cold Outside-The gas is in an underground tank, so it's always cool in the summer and warmer in the winter. So, you don't have to stock up in the winter for the end of the world.
3. Increasing Tire Pressure-That's like saying if you wash your car there will be less drag and you'll get better gas mileage, nope, just a myth.
4. Pouring Additives-They will help clean your engine, help it start, stop leaks, but increase gas mileage, even the EPA says they are a waste of money.
5. Changing the Air Filter-Getting a new filter when it's dirty, good, helping your gas mileage, bad.
6. Keeping the Engine Running-With the old cars if you started your car you had to pump the pedal and that used gas, now there is fuel injection. If you idle your car you will suck the gas right up.
Bottom line, if you want to get better gas mileage, take care of your car, make sure you keep up on maintence, that is the best way to get the most out of your gas.