Leaving For Thanksgiving Like The Rest Of America, Protect Your Home
Getty Images News
According to a survey, during the Thanksgiving season 43 million Americans drove 50 miles or more to carve the turkey with their friends and family. Just about the same number drive 50 miles or more for Christmas. That leaves your home open to burglers.
If you’re traveling this holiday season, complete this simple checklist to ensure your home is secure when you’re away. Make sure it looks like someone is home. If you follow these easy things the Duluth Police have published it will insure your home is not targeted.
A CHECKLIST FOR PROTECTING YOUR HOME WHEN YOU’RE AWAY
- Lock every door or window, including the door to your garage, sliding doors and pet doors.
- Activate your security system.
- Pick up any lawn furniture, ladders or anything left loose in your yard, a picked up home yard makes burglers think you care and have secured the house.
- Put your valuables away, don't leave them in the open. Maybe purchase a small safe and secure it to something strong, like a basement post.
- Put away your hidden keys, burglers will look.
KNOW YOUR NEIGHBOR
Ask a trusted neighbor to:
- Watch your house, maybe turn on lights, collect your newspapers or mail.
- Hold onto your emergency contact information.
- Park a car in your driveway.
MAKE IT LOOK LIKE SOMEONE IS HOME
- Put a timer on lights, TVs, or radios to create noise and look like someone is watching tv or moving from room to room.
- Have some motion sensing lights outside.
- DO NOT post that you are gone on social media
For more information click here