People are still struggling 6 months after the June floods in the city and outside the city limits. Flood Homes with Hope has stepped up to help relieve a little stress and help with the health of the house during these winter months.

We hear stories of people getting sick and dying of carbon monoxide poisoning. 200 people die every year with an undetectable odor. Authorities are saying every home should have a carbon monoxide detector and a local charity is making it happen for flood victims.

According to their website, Flood Homes With Hope is offering free carbon monoxide detectors to residents whose homes suffered damage in last summer’s flash floods because so many residents continue to have trouble with furnaces and boilers.

The Disaster Case Managers have worked with a number of residents whose furnaces appeared to work after the flood, but later discovered that they failed during the intense cold. In several cases, residents have been forced out of their homes by small fires or carbon monoxide.

Disaster Case Managers have helped dozens of residents across the region replace furnaces, boilers and hot water heaters damaged in last summer’s floods. Many residents have tried to survive the winter with equipment that was damaged by the flooding. The recent extreme cold caused some of that damaged equipment to completely fail.

Flood Homes With Hope partners include the United Ways of Greater Duluth, Carlton County and Douglas County, Ecolibrium3, One Roof Housing, the Salvation Army, Lutheran Social Services, Carlton County, St. Louis County among many others.

The carbon monoxide detectors are available for free for flood survivors from the Disaster Case Managers, who can be contacted at (218) 499-9480 or through the Flood Homes With Hope website at www.FloodHomesWithHope.org.