I'm hearing on the news that you need to get burning permits in order to burn paper or tree limbs. It's very dangerous right now with all the melting and exposed dry leaves and trees. A burning permit grants the individual holder the right to burn small amounts of dry leaves, plant clippings, brush, and clean untreated-unpainted wood as long as weather conditions do not pose a fire hazard.

So here's some FAQ from the DNR website.

If you want to burn some things You may burn vegetative material, such as grass, leaves, brush, and untreated lumber. There is a certain Barrel that must be approved. Click here to see the information about approved burning barrels.

According to the DNR website a permit is not needed:

  •  For a "campfire"—a fire set for cooking, warming, or ceremonial purposes, which is not more than 3 feet in diameter by 3 feet high, and has had the ground 5 feet from the base of the fire cleared of all combustible material
  • When the ground is snow-covered — by definition, when there is a continuous unbroken cover of snow 3 inches deep or more surrounding the immediate area of the fire, sufficient to keep the fire from spreading
  • For a fire contained in a charcoal grill, camp stove, or other device designed for cooking or heating
  • For a fire in an approved burner and there is no combustible material within 5 feet of the base of the burner, and it is in use between the 6:00 p.m. and 8:00 a.m. Click here to see what burners are approved.

According to the DNR website, you may not burn these materials:

  • hazardous wastes
  • industrial solid waste
  • demolition debris of commercial or institutional structures (farm buildings are not considered commercial structures)
  • salvage operations
  • motor vehicles
  • oils
  • rubber
  • plastics
  • chemically treated materials
  • other materials which produce excessive or noxious smoke, such as tires, railroad ties, chemically treated lumber, composite board, drywall, wiring, paint, or paint filters
  • garbage, defined as discarded material resulting from the handling, processing, storage, preparation, serving, or consumption of food.

You can get a permit at any DNR forestry office, click here for a locator.

You can also get one from a Fire Warden, or Online.



More From KOOL 101.7