What Is There To Do In Duluth In The Winter? City Parks And Rec Department Offers Free Ice Skating Events
There's no shortage of fun in the winter - especially if you have a pair of ice skates! Just as you would expect in a city that fully-embraces the snow and the cold, ice skating opportunities abound within the Twin Ports.
With the Christmas Break fats approaching, the City of Duluth Parks and Rec Department has planned and announced the following skating events that are open to everyone and cost nothing to take part in.
- December 28: DECC ice arena (350 Harbor Drive. There will be free open ice skating from 3-5 PM. Participants must bring their own skates. Children under 10 years of age must be supervised by an accompanying adult. The next scheduled open skate event at the DECC ice arena is January 25, 2015 from 3-5 PM.
- December 29 - Winter's End: Bayfront Family Center (353 Harbor Drive) –The Family Center opens on Monday December 29th and will have snowshoes, sleds and children's sizes of cross country skis available for trial use, as well as ice skates in many sizes. The equipment is provided for temporary use on site at no charge to the public. Parking lot is accessible off of Railroad Street.
- Hours for the New Years holiday week will be:
- December 29 & 30, 1-8 PM
- December 31 & New Years Day, 1-5 PM
- Friday and Saturday, January 2 & 3, 1-8 PM
- Sunday, January 4, 1-5 PM
- Regular Hours start Monday, January 5, 2015
- Monday - Friday, 4-8 PM
- Saturdays, 1-8 PM
- Sundays, 1-5 PM
- Stay later on Friday nights and enjoy the bonfire with free hot chocolate.
- Duluth Heritage Sports Center (120 South 30th Ave West) - Additional ice skating events are also offered during the school winter break starting December 26, 2014. Participants must bring their own skates. Children must be supervised by an accompanying adult.
- Friday, December 26, 2:00-4:00 PM
- Monday, December 29, 10:30-12:30 PM
- Tuesday, December 30, 10:30-12:30 PM
- Friday, January 2, 2:00-4:00 PM
- Regular open skate takes place on Wednesday evenings from 6:30 - 8 PM.
For more details, click here.