
Minnesota Man Sent to Federal Prison For Terrorism Conviction
Minneapolis, MN (MinnesotaNow) - A Minnesota man has been handed a prison sentence for a terrorism-related conviction.
Attempting to Support a Terrorist Organization
The Office of the U.S. Attorney for Minnesota says 23-year-old Abdisatar Ahmed Hassan has been ordered to serve an 8.5 year sentence in federal prison. The Minneapolis man earlier admitted to a charge of attempting to provide material support and resources to ISIS, which has been designated as a foreign terrorist organization by the U.S. since 2014.
Radicalized Online
Court documents in the case detail how the young man became radicalized through ISIS propaganda articles and videos he accessed through various social media accounts. Prosecutors say the investigation that led to his indictment by a federal grand jury found that he obtained instructions on how to make highly explosive materials and “openly posted his desire for jihad and an Islamic caliphate” on social media sites.
It was also alleged that Hassan had “frequent and extensive” social media communications with ISIS media organizations and recruiters in Somalia. Prosecutors said the communications began in 2024, and Hassan eventually made plans to travel to Somalia to join ISIS.
Attempted Travel to Somalia
The federal indictment says Hassan quit his job, liquidated his savings, and purchased a one-way ticket to travel from Minneapolis to Somalia. On December 13, 2024, court documents say FBI agents witnessed Hassan attempting to board a flight to Somalia before he was turned away because he lacked proper travel documents.
Approximately two weeks later, prosecutors say Hassan rebooked a one-way flight itinerary to Somalia and left the Twin Cities on a flight to Chicago with an ultimate destination of Somalia. In Chicago, a Customs and Border Protection Tactical Terrorism Response Team interviewed Hassan and intervened to stop his travel plans.
Created ISIS Inspired Videos
After returning to Minnesota, prosecutors say Hassan continued his social media activity promoting ISIS and celebrated the actions of the man responsible for the ISIS-inspired New Year’s terrorist attack in New Orleans on January 1, 2025, that left 14 people dead and dozens injured.
In late February of last year, court documents say Hassan created and posted ISIS-inspired videos of himself driving around at night holding a homemade ISIS flag in one hand while displaying an open, long-bladed, box-style knife on his lap. When he was arrested, prosecutors say he was in possession of the knife, and the homemade flag was found in the vehicle.
Top 10 Best Colleges in Minnesota - 2025 Overall Ranking
Gallery Credit: Minnesota Now

