Help For Duluth-Superior Federal Workers Furloughed By Shutdown
As the Federal Government shutdown exceeds it's initial timeline, many government workers find themselves needing support services. While there are a variety of programs available, the City of Duluth has offered some guidelines about a variety of options.
- Temporary Employment: Duluth Workforce Center, 402 West First Street - (218) 302-8400. The center offers free services which connect people to temporary jobs that are available.
- Basic Needs - like food, clothing, healthcare: Head of the Lakes United Way 2-1-1 program. Dial 2-1-1 from a land line or from a cell phone call 800-543-7709. All calls are kept confidential.
- Food Programs - SNAP or Food Stamps: Minnesota Food HelpLine: 1-888-711-1151
- Emergency Food Shelf: CHUM has three sites where people can access provisions. Hours and locations are available on their website. Users can also call 211.
- Unemployment Benefits: Click here for an online application.
- Utilities Assistance (water, gas, sewer): ComfortSystems: 218) 730-4050.
- Rent Assistance: Contact St. Louis County - Government Services by clicking here of calling (218) 726-2222.