CHUM Looking for Support Staff For Warming Center
This is a temporary, part-time job to provide a welcoming environment for the guests and be able to be available when it's below 32 degrees.
More and more people are becoming homeless. So much so that other charities have been collecting sleeping bags and tents in order for homeless people to have somewhere to get out of the elements and it is important that support staff are present for homeless people when they come to the warming center.
People that come to the warming center expect to be safe and sometimes have problems that need to be dealt with. Some are frustrated they are homeless and need someone to talk to. The support staff becomes important for that reason.
CHUM announced on its website and newsletter that they are looking for support staff for the warming center.
- The support staff can't be timid and must communicate warming center rules and procedures and what is expected of the guests.
- Be able to de-escalate any situation.
- Maintain a log of events and incidents.
- Call 911 if needed, and log the reasons why and what actions were taken by authorities or first responders.
- Overnight staff needs to stay awake and keep coffee made. Staff will be responsible for waking the guests for departure.
- Cleaning after they leave to have a safe environment for the guests and staff for the next night.
- Lived experience of homelessness is helpful.
- Professional training in trauma-informed practices is helpful.
- Patience, flexibility, ability to listen, assertiveness, and compassion.
- Ability to make decisions and be effective under pressure.
- Ability to maintain composure in crisis incidents.
- Reliable transportation to and from work.
- Knowledge or experience with low income & homeless populations preferred
- Must pass a background check
- Staff must be available on any night the temperature reaches (32 degrees). If staff can’t make a shift, a 24-hour notice is requested.
- 2 evening shifts with CHUM shelter staff
- Boundary training
- Harm reduction
- Blood/body fluids
- Cleaning training