Annual Homeless Count Happens Jan 22 In St. Louis County
St. Louis County has planned the date for their Annual Homeless Count for 2020. This years survey will occur on Thursday, January 23 - to document where people experiencing homelessness spent the night of January 22. A variety of locations will be utilized in the audit.
This count is an important step in understanding the scope and scale of the problem. The date extracted from the survey is used to determine the Federal funding that is awarded to fight homelessness. Through a coordinated effort, survey takers aim to reach specific groups experiencing homelessness - including veterans, youth, communities of color, and those fleeing domestic violence.
The survey seeks to survey all "unsheltered" individuals and families or people whose primary nighttime residence is not fit for habitation. Examples of this would include a car, park, abandoned building, storage unit, bus or train station, campground, ice house, or in the woods. The count also seeks to identify so-called "doubled up households" - sometimes referred to as "couch hopping" - or those staying with family or friends on a short-term basis. People living in this situation meet the state's definition of homeless.
Here is a listing of the survey sites throughout St. Louis County:
- Community Connect @ Damiano Center, 206 West 4th Street
- AICHO, 202 West 2nd Street
- Duluth Public Library, 520 West Superior Street
- Duluth Warming Center at CHUM, 120 North 1st Avenue West
- Lake Superior Community Health Center, 4325 Grand Avenue
- Leech Lake Duluth Area Office, 202 West 2nd Street
- LifeHouse Drop in Center, 102 West 1st Street
- MAC-V, 5209 Ramsey Street
- St. Louis County Government Services Center, 320 West 2nd Street, Central Client Area
- (If activated), Duluth Warming Center at Gloria Dei, 219 North 6th Avenue East
- AEOA, 702 3rd Avenue South
- Bill's House shelter, 210 3rd Street North
Access North, 1309 E 40th Street
Government Services Center, 320 East Miners Drive
Scenic Rivers Health Services, 20 5th Street Southeast
- 13071 Nett Lake Road-Suite B
- New Moon, 1224 White Pine Circle, Tower