A Minnesota Department Of Agriculture Sample-Test Nets A Dog Food Recall Involving A Variety Of Brands
A variety of brands of dog foods manufactured by Sunshine Mills, Inc. is being recalled due to health concerns. According to the United States Food and Drug Administration, the dog food products are being voluntarily recalled due to the potential for salmonella contamination.
The recall effort was spurred on by a routine test performed by the Minnesota Department of Agriculture at Fleet Wholesale Supply Company - a distributor A 5-pound Sprout Sporting Dog Food product at the wholesaler tested positive for salmonella contamination after a sample was collected during routine surveillance. The positive test caused Sunshine Mills, Inc. to look further into its supply chain.
While the food product being recalled is manufactured to be consumed by pets (dogs), there is a risk of contamination for humans. The U.S. FDA says that salmonella "can affect animals eating the product and there is risk to humans from handling contaminated products, especially if they have not thoroughly washed their hands after having contact with the products or any surfaces exposed to these products."
Here are the symptoms of salmonella contamination that should be looked for in both humans and pets:
- For humans - nausea, vomiting, diarrhea or bloody diarrhea, abdominal cramping, and fever. More serious ailments are rare, but can include arterial infections, endocarditis, arthritis, muscle pain, eye irritation, and urinary tract symptoms.
- For pets (dogs) - signs to look for include lethargy, diarrhea or bloody diarrhea, fever, and vomiting. Some pets will have decreased appetite, fever, and abdominal pain.
The specific brands included in the recall include:
- Sportsman's Pride Professional Formula 30.20 Dog Food - 40 pound bag - Best if used by "7 Oct 2021", Lot code "TI1 07/Oct/2020", UPC code: "7015510184".
- Sprout Sporting Dog Food - 5 pound bag - Best if used by "6 Oct 2021", Lot code "TE1 06/Oct/2020", UPC code: "701550501".
- Sprout Sporting Dog Food - 40 pound bag - Best if used by "6 Oct 2021", Lot code "TI3 06/Oct/2020", UPC code: "701550500".
- Intimidator Chicken & Rice Formula - 16 pound bag - Best if used by "6 Oct 2021", Lot code "TA1 06/Oct/2020", UPC code: "7015541002".
- Intimidator Chicken & Rice Formula - 40 pound bag - Best if used by "6 Oct 2021", Lot code "TA1 06/Oct/2020", UPC code: "5216631214".
- FRM Gold Select High Performance Dog Food - 50 pound bag - Best if used by "6 Oct 2021", Lot code "TA1 06/Oct/2020", UPC code: "1549905873".
At this time, there are no other brands or varieties of Sportsman's Pride, Sproutm Intimidator, or FRM Gold Select products involved in the recall. Complete product details are available on the FDA's website.