UMD Requiring All On Campus To Wear Face Coverings Beginning July 1
University of Minnesota President Joan Gabel sent out a letter Monday informing everyone of a major policy change that will be going into effect Wednesday, July 1.
The letter states:
Effective July 1 and continuing until rescinded, all University of Minnesota students, faculty, staff, and visitors (including contractors, service providers, vendors, and suppliers) are required to use a face covering at all times when in any enclosed or indoor space on University campuses and properties.
The letter says that it is common knowledge that while not perfect, face coverings do provide a level of protection against the spread of COVID-19. Wearing them not only protects you, but it protects those around you.
There are exceptions to this policy, which include:
- When eating or drinking; however, physical distancing must be practiced.
- In your assigned on-campus apartment or residence hall room.
- When you are alone in a room or where a posted and official University notice indicates masks are not needed.
- When you are alone in a motor vehicle.
- If you are unable to wear a face covering while exercising at Rec Well or Athletics facilities.
- In labs or other places that instead require use of a respirator.
- If you require accommodations for health or disability reasons.
This new policy would involve all University Of Minnesota campuses, including the University of Minnesota - Duluth. A link to the letter announcing the policy change can be found through UMD's website.
You can follow the link below to read the entire letter.