Two UMD Bulldogs Hobey Baker Award Nominees
Voting opened this week for the 2019 Hobey Baker Memorial Award, and the University of Minnesota Duluth has two nominees on the ballot looking for fan votes to help win this prestigious college hockey award.
This year's UMD nominees are sophomore defenseman Scott Perunovich and junior goalie Hunter Shepard. They join a roster of over 80 college hockey players that have been nominated by athletics departments around the country.
The first round of voting goes through March 10 at midnight, when the field will be narrowed to 10 finalists. A second round of voting from March 20 through March 31 will whittle the field down to three finalists, which will be named on April 4. From there, a winner will be chosen and announced during the NCAA Men's Hockey Frozen Four on April 12 in Buffalo, New York.
Perunovich and Shepard are two of only three players at Minnesota schools, and among thirteen nominees in the NCHC. Here is the full list of NCHC nominees:
- Hunter Shepard, Jr., G, UMD
- Scott Perunovich, So., D, UMD
- Jimmy Schuldt, Sr., D, St. Cloud State
- Trey Bradley, Sr., F, Colorado College
- Westin Michaud, Sr., F, Colorado College
- Colt Conrad, Sr., F, Western Michigan
- Hugh McGing, Jr., F, Western Michigan
- Josh Passolt, So., F, Western Michigan
- Ryan Larkin, Jr., G, Miami
- Josh Melnick, Sr., F, Miami
- Jarid Lukosevicius, Sr., F, Denver
- Ian Mitchell, So., D, Denver
- Mason Morelli, Sr., F, Omaha
Fans can vote once per each 24 hour period for their favorite player. You can visit the Hobey Baker Award voting page by tapping the button below.
The Hobey Baker Award is the most coveted award in college hockey, given to the top NCAA men’s player each year. Recipients are chosen based on on and off ice team contributions and display of character, academic performance, and compliance with NCAA rules.
Previous UMD winners include Jack Connolly in 2012, Junior Lessard in 2004, Chris Marinucci in 1994, Bill Watson in 1985, and Tom Kurvers in 1984.