St. Louis County Offers Grant Money To Battle Aquatic Invasive Species
As part of the battle against Aquatic Invasive Species in the Northland, St. Louis County officials are offering grant money through the AIS Prevention Aid Program. The dollar amount available for 2020 is a little over $700,000.
Qualifying projects should focus on the protection or maintenance of aquatic resources, and social or economic impacts of AIS; the projects should address one or more of the seven categories and associated actions outlines in the St. Louis County Aquatic Invasive Species Prevention Plan:
- Assess county resources and risks for AIS introduction and spread
- Increase resources for county-wide education and enforcement
- Increase public awareness and participation in prevention
- Raise available resources and leverage partnerships
- Broaden knowledge of and participation in early detection and rapid response activities
- Manage existing populations of AIS
- Address specific pathways for AIS introduction
Applications are available online by clicking here. The deadline for all applications is Friday, December 6, 2019. Grant awards will be announced in January 2020 and projects are expected to begin in the spring of 2020.