The U.S. Centers For Disease Control and Prevention recommends using diluted bleach in order to clean and sanitize areas that are heavily touched. Drinking it is not recommended.

According to ABC6, people say there is a lot of confusing, and misleading information circulating about how to prevent yourself from contracting the coronavirus. The information is leading people to drink bleach in order to sanitize themselves and it is doing some damage.

The CDC website says you should wash surfaces with soap and warm clean water to get rid of dirt. THEN, you can sanitize with bleach, but nowhere does it say you should drink it or even gargle with it. I read it and I wasn't confused at all.

KOOL 101.7 logo
Enter your number to get our free mobile app

The CDC reminds you that it is critical to read and follow the safety instructions. Here are some things directly from their website they say are critical:

  • Never mix bleach with ammonia or any other cleaner.
  • Wear rubber or other non-porous boots, gloves, and eye protection.
  • Try not to breathe in product fumes. If using products indoors, open windows and doors to allow fresh air to enter.

It's also a good idea to keep poisons such as bleach up and away from children. If you do find a child had consumed bleach, call the Minnesota Poison Control Center at 800-222-1222 or go directly to their website for tips.

How can I stay safe while grocery shopping? And answers to 24 other coronavirus questions

More From KOOL 101.7