Minneapolis, MN (MinnesotaNow)- A Twin Cities man has been sentenced for a vehicle break-in and rifle theft that occurred during Operation Metro Surge

See Also: Minnesota Mother Sentenced for Murder of Her 18-Month-Old Child

That’s according to a news release issued by the U.S. Attorney’s Office in Minnesota. The break-in occurred on January 14, according to federal court documents.

KOOL 101.7 logo
Get our free mobile app

Inver Grove Heights Man Sentenced for FBI Vehicle Break-in & Firearm Theft During Operation Metro Surge

33-year-old Raul Gutierrez, Jr. was alleged to have participated in what the U.S. Attorney’s Office describes as a “violent civil disturbance in Minneapolis,” during which he and others broke into a vehicle belonging to the FBI. 

The hatch of the vehicle had been breached when Gutierrez, Jr.’s accomplice, identified as Alexio Miranda, arrived at the scene. 

Jim Vondruska, Getty Images
Jim Vondruska, Getty Images

Miranda had broken into a cargo safe that was in the vehicle and removed a rifle bag and ammunition. He then gave the safe contents to Gutierrez Jr., who took the items to his vehicle, the news release says. 

The rifle bag contained a semiautomatic rifle and a silencer. Miranda took the materials to his home after Gutierrez Jr. abandoned them, the news release says. 

Prior Convictions

Court records indicate Gutierrez Jr. is prohibited from possessing firearms due to a felony burglary conviction in Wisconsin and a felony domestic assault conviction in Ramsey County. 

The Inver Grove Heights man pleaded guilty to felon in possession of firearms in May and was sentenced to 54 months in prison on Monday. 

Federal court records indicate Miranda pleaded guilty to possessing a stolen firearm last month. He’s scheduled to be sentenced by a federal judge in October.

Timeline: How ICE’s Arrival Sparked Protests, Lawsuits, and Deadly Encounters in Minnesota

Since federal immigration agents arrived in Minnesota as part of “Operation Metro Surge,” the state has seen a rapid series of high-profile events, including fatal shootings, mass protests, court battles, and growing tension between federal authorities and local leaders. This timeline breaks down the key moments that shaped the escalating standoff and reshaped daily life across Minneapolis, St. Paul, and communities statewide.

Gallery Credit: Minnesota Now