Hermantown Volunteer Fire Department Warns of Space Heater Risks
It's the time of the year when space heaters will become common in homes, cabins, and even at where you work. With that in mind, make sure to take precautions to prevent fires.
The Hermantown Volunteer Fire Department offered this advice on their Facebook page:
Did you know over 30% of home fires are caused by space heaters? Heat your home & cabin safely this winter. Remember to always plug heaters directly into the outlet. Be sure to have working smoke and carbon monoxide detectors
They also shared a helpful info-graphic, which you can see below.
The American Red Cross offers the following home fire prevention tips:
- Install smoke alarms on every level of your home, inside bedrooms and outside sleeping areas.
- Test smoke alarms every month. If they’re not working, change the batteries.
- Talk with all family members about a fire escape plan and practice the plan twice a year.
- If a fire occurs in your home, GET OUT, STAY OUT and CALL FOR HELP. Never go back inside for anything or anyone.
Stay warm this winter, but remember to also stay safe.