Duluth Police Issue Traffic Advisories For Grandma’s Marathon Weekend
Ahead of Grandma's Marathon weekend, the Duluth Police Department has issued a series of traffic advisories for drivers to be aware of, as some area roads will be impacted by marathon-related activities. These advisories include temporary closures and traffic re-routes, along with additional congestion.
Here's a rundown of the advisories to be aware of:
Wednesday, June 19, 2019 – Canal Park Drive
This advisory is not a closure, but could impact traffic. Crews will be installing a temporary bridge over Canal Park Drive between Buchanan Street and Morse Street from 7:00 am to 3:00 pm. While no roads will be closed for this process, drivers should expect short delays as crews install this structure.
Friday, June 21, 2019 - Grandma's Marathon/Half Marathon Setup
At noon on Friday, Canal Park Drive from Railroad Street to Buchanan Street will close to most traffic as crews set up the finish line for Grandma's Marathon. This portion of roadway will remain closed from noon Friday through the completion of Grandma's Marathon on Saturday. Guests staying at hotels along Canal Park Drive will have limited access on Friday, but the road will be closed to all traffic during the race on Saturday. Normal traffic will be allowed after the races are completed.
Friday, June 21, 2019 - WILLIAM A. IRVIN 5K
Due to the running of the William A. Irvin 5K, a few Canal Park roads and some parking spaces will be closed. While the race starts at 6:00, closures go into effect at various times before.
- Harbor Drive behind the DECC closing at 3:00 pm, opening after the race's completion (around 7:30 pm)
- Portions of Railroad Street closing at 5:30 pm, opening after the race's completion (around 7:30 pm)
- DPD is asking the public to obey temporary "no parking" areas on Railroad Street, Lake Place Drive, and Harbor Drive. Enforcement will include ticketing and towing.
- Traffic delays are expected to start around 5:30 pm, and will continue for roughly an hour as parts of Railroad Street will be closed from Lake Avenue to Pier B Resort. Southbound traffic on 5th Avenue West will be able to access the DECC parking lot by using Railroad street during the race.
- The aquarium parking lot will be inaccessible from 5:45 until about 6:30.
- Access to the DECC during the race will only be possible by using north gate on Railroad Street, from Lake Avenue or 5th Avenue West.
- Vehicles on I-35 northbound that are exiting at the 5th Avenue West ramp will either be able to go straight (to Lake Avenue) or turn right onto 5th Avenue West to access the DECC or the aquarium parking lot.
- It is anticipated traffic will return to normal around 7:30 pm.
Saturday, June 21, 2019 - Grandma's Marathon/Half Marathon
Several roadways will be impacted by the marathon and half marathon routes on Saturday. Here is the rundown:
- Scenic Highway 61 between McQuade Road and Ryan Road will close to traffic at 4:00 am.
- The rest of Scenic Highway 61 between Two Harbors and Duluth will close to traffic at 4:15 am.
- While the Highway 61 Expressway between Duluth and Two Harbors will remain open to traffic, the public is asked to slow down and be alert to special signing and lane closures starting at 4:15 am.
- Lakewood, Homestead, Ryan, and McQuade Roads will close between the expressway and scenic highway at 4:15 am.
- Harbor Drive from the DECC East Gate to the aquarium will be restricted to only bus traffic at 4:30 am. Harbor Drive will close to all traffic at 5:45 am.
- Most avenues leading to London road will close at 4:30 am. Closures will be marked.
- The following roads will close to all traffic at 5:45 am, and remain closed until the end of the marathon:
- London Road (the entirety of London Road)
- Superior Street from 12th Avenue East to 3rd Avenue East
- Michigan Street from 4th Avenue East to 5th Avenue West
- All of Commerce Street/Railroad Street, Lake Place Drive, and Canal Park Drive
- Southbound lanes of I-35 from 21st Avenue East and 26th Avenue East will close at 4:30 am. The designated detour is from the Highway 61 Expressway to 21st Avenue East, following 21st Avenue East to 3rd Street, where 3rd Street should be followed to Mesaba Avenue.
- Northbound lanes of I-35 from Mesaba Avenue to 26th Avenue East will close at 5:45 am. A detour of northbound traffic will follow Mesaba Avenue to 2nd Street, continuing through town.
- Westbound traffic on 1st Street will not be able to access Mesaba Avenue, and will be routed onto Superior Street and to I-35 at 6th Avenue West starting at 5:45 am.
- I-35 and most other roadways closed for the marathon are expected to reopen at approximately 2:00 pm on Saturday afternoon.
Other Access & Detour Details
- Canal Park & Park Point Access - The only way for drivers to access Park Point or Canal Park during the marathon on Saturday will be via Lake Avenue from Superior Street. There will be no vehicle access to Park Point or Canal Park from 5th Avenue West.
- DECC - Drivers looking to get to the DECC or Bayfront during the marathon on Saturday will either need to use 5th Avenue West or Garfield Avenue to Railroad Street. There will be no vehicle access to the DECC permitted from Lake Avenue.
- London Road - (New this year) All of London Road will close to all traffic from 5:45 am to about 2:00 pm on Saturday. Local residents and spectators along London Road can use Superior Street and Jefferson Street to access the avenues access London Road for parking during the marathon.
- Duluth Depot, Duluth Library, Gateway Towers - These areas will be accessible from Superior Street to 6th Avenue West during marathon closures.
- No parking will be allowed anywhere on the race course. Violators will be ticketed and towed.
- Canal Park parking - Vehicles looking to park near Canal Park are encouraged to use the Bayfront Park lots, the DECC ramp/lots, the aquarium lot, or downtown ramps.
- Downtown parking - On-street and ramp parking will be available along Superior Street from 6th Avenue East to Lake Avenue and along 1st Street. Michigan Street will be closed for the marathon from 4th Avenue East to 5th Avenue West. No on-street parking will be allowed on Michigan Street. *NOTE: Vehicles parked in ramps on Michigan Street will not be able to exit the ramp until the marathon ends Saturday afternoon.