Brut + Sure Aerosol Deodorants Recalled Over Carcinogens
A high-volume, widespread voluntary recall has been issued for two popular brands of aerosol deodorants. According to details released by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, TCP HOT Acquisition LLC - doing business as HRB Brands - has chosen to recall all lot numbers of their Brut and Sure brand aerosol deodorants. The concern has to with benzene, which is a human carcinogen.
Again, the recalled deodorant products include all lot numbers. They would have an expiration date on or before August 2023.
While benzene isn't included as an ingredient in any of the recalled deodorant products, an internal review "showed that unexpected levels of benzene came from the propellant that sprays the product out of the can." For that reason, the voluntary recall was initiated.
Here is a detailed list of which specific Brut and Sure brand aerosol deodorants are being recalled:
- Brut - Classic Antiperspirant Aerosol, 4-ounce - UPC #00827755070085 - Expiration Date: "On or before August 2023"
- Brut - Classic Antiperspirant Aerosol, 6-ounce - UPC #00827755070108 - Expiration Date: "On or before August 2023"
- Brut - Classic Deodorant Aerosol, 154-gram - UPC #00827755070177 - Expiration Date: "On or before August 2023"
- Brut - Classic Deodorant Aerosol, 10-ounce - UPC #00827755070047 - Expiration Date: "On or before August 2023"
- Sure - Regular Antiperspirant Aerosol, 6-ounce - UPC #00883484002025 - Expiration Date: "On or before August 2023"
- Sure - Unscented Antiperspirant Aerosol, 6-ounce - UPC #00883484002278 - Expiration Date: "On or before August 2023"
Again, for each of these products, all lot numbers are included in the recall notice. Each of the deodorant and antiperspirants products were distributed across the United States except the Brut Aerosol Deodorant, 154-gram, which was distributed in Canada.
HRB Brands has provided a visual guide for locating both the UPC code numbers and the "Best By" dates:
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration reports that benzene is "classified as a human carcinogen. Exposure to benzene can occur by inhalation, orally, and through the skin and it can result in cancers including leukemia and blood cancer of the bone marrow and blood disorders which can be life-threatening". It's for these reasons that customers who have the products in their possession are urged not to use them.
Customers with questions are directed to call the TCP HOT Acquisition LLC Hotline: 1-866-615-0976, weekdays from 8:30 AM to 5:00 PM. The company has also established a website specifically dealing with the recall efforts: brutsurerecall2022.com.