Your Couch May Be Giving Off A Toxic Flame Retardant That Was Outlawed Over 35 Years Ago
Manufacturers removed the cancer-causing flame retardant from baby pajamas in 1977 - but apparently no one in the furniture industry got the memo. A recent study shows that more than half of the couches sold in the United States contain the toxic chemical in question: pentaBDE.
Environmental Science & Technology performed the study and their findings have just been made public.
Of concern is that the way that the chemicals make their way into our bodies. As the couches rest in our living rooms, they continue to emit the fumes and dust particles, which get inhaled into our lungs - and then into our bodies.
PentaBDE has been globally banned from children's clothing since 1977.