When Does The Bong Bridge Close? Two Year Project Starts March 31
The two year, $18.2 million dollar project to rebuild the Bong Bridge starts Monday, March 31. The first phase of the project will close the bridge to Duluth-bound traffic for 7 months.
Details of the work include:
Bong Bridge work
- Overlay existing bridge deck and make necessary repairs to the sidewalk
- Replace and repair arch components and repaint
- Replace existing expansion joints and repaint girder ends
- Replace street lights and ship navigation lights
- Construct a modern roundabout at Belknap St./ US 2 intersection
- Add local access connection to US 2 for North Garfield Ave. (City Industrial Park)
- Bridge deck overlay of the Susquehanna overhead bridge
- Replace roadway lighting
- Replace existing concrete pavement
The first phase of the project will wrap up on November 1, 2014 - opening to traffic for the winter season. Work will resume on the other side - the east-bound, Superior-bound side - in the Spring of 2015.