What Are The Top Five Suggested Names For The New Highway 53 Bridge?
Back in June we reported that Explore Minnesota was having a contest to solicit names for the soon-to-open bridge east of Virginia - part of the Highway 53 Relocation Project. While the winner wasn't guaranteed that their submission would be the final name chosen by state authorities, they would win a gift card and their name would be forwarded to the state legislature for consideration.
Well, we have a winner - five of them to be exact. Here are the Top Five winning submissions - according to bridgedaze.com:
- Iron for American Bridge - submitted by Michael Eliason
- Iron Range High Bridge - submitted by James Adamiak
- Mesabi Crossing - submitted by Clyde Salmi
- Mesabi Veterans Memorial High Bridge - submitted by Alan Ollila
- Taconite Sky Bridge - submitted by Patti Papin
The actual date of the bridge opening has recently been pushed back but is expected to occur early this fall.