Wednesday Night At The Races For Kids Starts Tomorrow
Wednesday Night at the Races has become a summer tradition for hundreds of families throughout the Northland. This youth race series is held on six consecutive Wednesday evenings in July and August, and draws an average of over 500 children per night.
2012 Race Schedule (July 25 through August 29)
- Wednesday, July 25 – Bayfront Festival Park
- Wednesday, Aug. 1 – Public Schools Stadium
- Wednesday, Aug. 8 – UMD – Griggs Field
- Wednesday, Aug. 15 – Hermantown High School Track
- Wednesday, Aug. 22 – Central Park – Superior
- Wednesday, Aug. 29 – Park Point (followed by year-end picnic)
Registration: Registration is from 5:00 p.m. to 5:50 p.m. each evening of the series. These races are free.
Start Time: The youth races will start promptly at 6:00 p.m. beginning with the Courage Duluth wheelchair division (when offered) followed by the youngest age group and ending with the oldest children.
Age Groups and Distance: Children will be split up into groups according to their age. Age groups and distances are as follows:
Courage Duluth wheelchair division – 1/8 mile
4 & under – 1/8 mile
5 & 6 years old – 1/8 mile
7 & 8 years old – 1/4 mile
9 & 10 years old – 1/4 mile
11 & 12 years old – 1/2 mile
13 & 14 years old – 1/2 mile
Prizes: Everyone’s a champion at this event! Each week every child will receive a ribbon upon completing their race.