Traffic Closures For This Weekends Events
There are three events this weekend in the Twin Ports that will shut down traffic in some of the heavy traveled areas. See these changes:
Friday, August 24th
MACV "Stand Down" event
- At the Depot, 8:00am - 2:00pm.
- Michigan Street from 5th Ave W to 6th Ave W will be closed to traffic from 7:00am - approximately 3:00pm to allow for event set up / tear down.
- This will include the closing of the Michigan Street exit off the freeway.
- 6th Ave W will be coned for 2-way traffic to allow access to the parking lot next to the Depot.
- Michigan Street from 5th Ave W to 6th Ave W will be posted "No Parking after 6:00am"
Sunday, August 26th
4th Street from 5th Avenue East to 7th Avenue East.
- The Festival starts at 2pm and ends at 7pm, however street closure times vary.
- At 12 noon 4th Street will be closed to traffic from 5th Avenue East to 6th Avenue East, and also from 6th Avenue East to 7th Avenue East for event setup.
- During this time 6th Avenue East will remain open to traffic.
- At 1:30pm 6th Avenue East will also be closed from 3rd Street to 5th Street in addition to 4th Street.
- Downbound 6th Avenue East traffic will be diverted at 5th street; East toward 7th Avenue East and West toward 5th Avenue East.
- Northbound 6th Avenue East traffic will be diverted West on 3rd Street toward 5th Avenue East.
- The Festival ends at 7pm at which time 6th Avenue East re-opens.
- However 4th Street remains closed until 8pm for Festival tear down.
- Northbound DTA buses will travel East on 2nd Street to 7th Avenue East, turn left up 7th Avenue to 5th Street and turn left to 6th Avenue East where it will continue northbound.
- Southbound DTA buses will come down 6th Avenue East and turn left on 5th Street, then right on 7th Avenue East to 3rd Street where they will turn right and continue westbound on 3rd Street.
- Motorists in the area of the Festival should slow down and drive with care, and watch for signs, barricades, pedestrians, and Police Officers directing traffic.
- Drivers are urged to use caution when driving the area of this event.
Sunday, August 26th
Lutheran Church of the Holy Trinity Block Party
- The event will be from 12noon - 2pm. The 2700 block of West Third Street will be closed to vehicle traffic from 11am - 3pm.
- Westbound traffic will be diverted up 27th Avenue West to 4th Street, then West one block and back down to 3rd Street.
- Eastbound traffic will be diverted down 27th Avenue West to 2nd Street, then East one block and back to 3rd Street.
- DTA busses will all go down to 2nd Street, eastbound and westbound.
- Drivers should use caution when driving in proximity of the event and be alert to barricades, detour signs, pedestrians, and Police Officers directing traffic.
Sunday, August 26th
The event will be held in the Harbor & Bayfront Areas and on London Road., resulting in some road closures.
The event starts at 06:30 when participants are dropped in the Harbor to swim to a transition area behind the DECC on Harbor Drive. Boating traffic in the Harbor will be limited at this time.
Between 7-7:30am participants transition to bicycles and travel through the Bayfront area, taking Michigan Street, Superior Street, London Road and the Highway 61 Expressway to Two Harbors where they turn around taking the Scenic Highway and the same route back to the DECC. During the bike portion of this event the following roads will be closed:
- Railroad Street -from 5th Ave W to Garfield Ave
- Superior Street-from 3rd Ave E to 10th Ave E
- Michigan Street-from 5th Ave W to 4th Ave E
- London Road from 10th Ave E to 12th Ave E
- 21st Avenue East-from Superior Street down to Water Street
- The 21st Ave East I-35 Ramps will be closed, however 26th Avenue East ramps will remain open.
- I-35 Ramps on 5th Ave West will be affected. The Northbound Of-Ramp and Southbound On- Ramp will remain open.
*There will be a coned lane for bicyclists only on:
-the East side of 5th Ave West
- the lower side of London Road from 12th Ave E to15th Ave E,
-the lower side of London Road from 20th Ave E to 21st Ave E,
-the lower side of London Road from 26th Ave E to the Highway 61 Expressway.