Contact Us

Swallowed Batteries The Cause Of Doubled ER Visits For Kids

Source: tzahialt via flickr

Everything has a battery these days – even toys for kids.  That’s why it should be no surprise that Emergency Room visits for kids that have swallowed batteries have increased.  A recent report shows that these sort of ER visits have more than doubled over the last two decades.

Besides the obvious concerns, many of today’s “button-style” batteries pose potential problems with the child’s digestive tract.

[I]f kids swallow them, they can become lodged in the esophagus and start an electrical current flowing through the tissue — without kids showing any signs of immediate injury.

“If a child swallows a button battery, the parent might not see it happen and the child might not have symptoms initially — and the clock is ticking,” said Dr. Gary Smith, head of the Center for Injury Research and Policy at Nationwide Children’s Hospital in Columbus, Ohio and one of the authors on the new study.

“We’ve seen children in less than two hours have severe, severe injuries from button batteries getting caught in the esophagus,” he told Reuters Health.

Experts say that the increase is more than likely caused by the evolution of battery-types that are found in the home.  Twenty years ago, most batteries were the more “standard”-style AA or AAA or even D-cell batteries;  “Button-style” batteries are more commonly found these days in everything from hearing aids and remote controls to children’s toys.

 

 

 

 

 

More from KOOL 101.7

Best of the Web

Leave a Comment

It appears that you already have an account created within our VIP network of sites on . To keep your points and personal information safe, we need to verify that it's really you. To activate your account, please confirm your password. When you have confirmed your password, you will be able to log in through Facebook on both sites.

Forgot your password?

*Please note that your points, prizes and activities will not be shared between programs within our VIP network.

It appears that you already have an account on this site associated with . To connect your existing account with your Facebook account, just click on the account activation button below. You will maintain your existing profile and VIP program points. After you do this, you will be able to always log in to http://kool1017.com using your Facebook account.

*Please note that your points, prizes and activities will not be shared between programs within our VIP network.

Please fill out the information below to help us provide you a better experience.

Register on Kool 101.7 Radio quickly by logging in with your Facebook account. It's just as secure, and no password to remember!

Not a Member? Sign Up Here.

Sign up for an account to comment, share your thoughts, and earn points to get great prizes.

Register on Kool 101.7 Radio quickly by logging in with your Facebook account. It's just as secure, and no password to remember!