Interesting Facts About Valentine Heart Candy
Did you ever wonder how the Valentine Candy hearts we all enjoy got their start? The conversation candy hearts that we know today date back to 1902, when the New England Confectionery Company printed sayings on candy shapes including postcards, baseballs, horseshoes, and watches. According to an article in Better Homes and Gardens,The sayings are updated every year and the hearts have been used in creative crafts, cake decorations, cute Valentine's Day gifts, and -- sweetest of all -- marriage proposals.
- The New England Confectionery Company (NECCO) makes more than 8 billion candy hearts every year to keep up with the demand for the sweet treat.
- Every day from late February through mid-January, around 100,000 pounds of conversation candy hearts are made.
- The entire amount produced during this time sells out in six weeks. Candy hearts are the best-selling Valentine's Day candy.
- In 2010, for the first time in 145 years, the company discarded all of the sayings for the conversation hearts and created a new line with expressions selected by the public.
- The most popular new sayings for conversation candy hearts are "Tweet Me," "Text Me," "You Rock," "Love Bug," "Soul Mate," and "Me + You."