Flooding Across Areas From Carlton County To Iron County Closes Roads, More
A string of thunderstorms bringing with them lots of rain over the last few days has swelled rivers and streams and filled low-lying areas, causing flooding across a number of different parts of Minnesota, Wisconsin and Michigan's Upper Peninsula. That flooding has led to a number of roadways around the region getting damaged or being closed. Here's what you need to know:
Road Closure Information
- Carlton County - Released a press release on area road damage, stating that along with Highway 23, poor road conditions exist around portions of the county, including in the areas of Barnum, Blackhoof, Clear Creek, Holyoke, Mahtowa, and Wrenshall. Some of the impacted roads include:
- MN Highway 23 between County Highway 8 and County Highway 1 (4 to 6 miles west of the Wrenshall area)
- County Road 8 east and west of Country Road 11 in Barnum Township
- County Road 8 in the 600 block of Holyoke Township
- Country Road 11 in the 4100 block of Barnum Township
- County Road 13 in the 4600 block of Moose Lake Township
- Intersection of Country Road 8 and County Road 103 in Clear Lake Township
- Douglas County - Is maintaining a list of closed roadways on the county's website and has been sharing closure maps via their Facebook page. See the latest map as of the publishing of this post here. Major closings of note are:
- US Hwy 2 eastbound and westbound between 31st and 37th Avenue
- State Hwy 35 near Pattison Park
- Bayfield County - Is maintaining a detailed list of closed roadways on the county's website. Among major roadways impacted are:
- US Hwy. 2 is washed out between Tomich Rd. and west end of Hwy. G and is impassible.
- US Hwy. 63 is washed out just south of US Hwy. 2 at the Fish Creek bridge and is impassible.
- US Hwy. 63 is closed between Drummond and Grand View.
- State Hwy. 137 is closed.
- Hwy. H is closed between CTH E and Pike River Rd.
- Hwy. F is washed out and closed north of Benoit.
- Hwy. E is closed west of Sanborn with a washout.
- Hwy. N is closed from Hwy. A to US Hwy. 63 in Drummond.
- Hwy. G is closed at Old US 2 Rd for culvert replacement.
- Hwy. A is closed from E. Fay Rd. and Port Wing Line Rd.
The Wisconsin Department of Transportation's Northcentral Region office has been sharing additional updates for the region via their Twitter page including this road update for other areas of Northern Wisconsin on Sunday (here).
Below are some visuals from around the region on social media.
Many area rivers and streams have swelled beyond their normal banks, causing problems beyond the roadways. Among the visuals we've recieved as of the time of this post include video and photos from Poplar Golf Course, which was closed on Sunday due to the Middle River, which runs through the course, covering portions of the golf course. They shared the news of their closure as well as the photos and video below via their Facebook page.